20 June 2010

Airborne

Ciaran suggested we go out for a cycle ride yesterday - he's finally beginning to realise that life is not all xbox.
He actually suggested a long though easy run along Cycle Route 7 from the house north through Irvine to the harbour, back along the same path, past the house and down to Barassie beach, along the front, out to the end of the runway at Prestwick and back via Fullerton Woods. All in all about 25 miles. We decided to bring lunch and invite Fiona along.
It was a lovely day, though a bit cool when you were out of direct sunlight. The sun was enough to burn though if like me you avoid suncream.
 After we ate we headed back along route 7 towards Troon and down to the beach. North Beach was reasonable quiet with the wind surfers out and the barbecues just beginning. South Beach was a mes though - I haven't seen that many people down there in ages. Despite the cycle path (why do some people insist on walking on the only bit specifically marked out for bikes?) we made cautious progress past the throngs to the top of Fullerton Drive where Ciaran called a stop due to a dodgy water bottle. When we started up again Ciaran should have brought us over the bridge and then back along to the path to Prestwick but he forgot.Straight away about 3 miles snipped from the cycle. We continued on into Fullerton woods and had a break up by the swing park where Fiona came to the rescue with a bag of sweets.
After finishing the pack we headed off again with Ciaran and I enjoying a simple chase when suddenly disaster struck. Ciaran decided to brake suddenly, too suddenly for me. I hit the back of his bike and flipped over him and it landing on the verge on my right shoulder with the bike pretty much still on me. It was all quiet for a moment while we got our breath back and took stock.
Luckily neither of us was hurt but were both bruised and shaken. Initially Ciaran was concerned that I would be mad but the potential seriousness meant I was simply grateful that we were ok.
Even his bike survived though mine didn't quite. The front tyre was completely flat, blown by the impact (I hope. I haven't had the opportunity to get it looked at yet). Fiona and Ciaran headed off to get the car then collected me as i walked the last mile and a half home.
Ciaran's ankle is sore though he had to be reminded later that evening when he was jumping up and down; my leg is badly bruised and my shoulder is quite sore, though I don't think anything serious. Oddly my hand is quite sore,along my little finger of my left hand. Hopefully the bikes will be OK as we are taking them to Arran with us at the start of July...

0 comments: