03 July 2013

3rd time, not so charming

After replacing my rear tyre 2 weeks ago I was all set to go out for my normal lunch time cycle when I discovered I had a puncture in that tyre. "I must have forgotten to re-inflate the tyre" I thought until I remembered that Fiona and I had been joking about the pump. Puncture it was.

No problem. With these new self adhesive patches its child's play to fix a puncture.
I was surprised though since I hadn't actually been out on the bike, and there wasn't a  puncture when I replaced the worn tyre. I ran my finger along inside and couldn't find anything in the tyre itself but there was a rough piece on the rim itself. Probably caused by the tyre lever getting the tyre off. These things happen. I smoothed it off and got the patches out.

Once fixed I was out and did my cycle. Since its also the first night without Cubs over the summer, Fiona came over after dinner and we both went out for a cycle.

Guess what I found out the next time we went to go for a cycle? Another puncture. I don't think Fiona minded that much 'cos she made Eton Mess for us instead.

When I got the tyre off though it got odd. The new leak is just below the new patch.
So:
  1. was it a new puncture caused by the rim;
  2. a double puncture that I didn't take enough care in fixing;
  3. or did I just put the patch in the wrong place?

I suppose the patch could have been in the wrong place but I was out twice that day and the tyre didn't feel soft. I'm not inclined to remove the patch because I suspect that will cause more damage to the tube.
Similarly it could have been a double puncture. It does seem unlikely since I was out twice on the 'repaired' tyre.
That suggests the rim. In order to test (and because I didn't have any patches left) I decided to use my spare tyre and see what happens.

With great trepidation Fiona and I went out last Sunday but the tyre was fine. We got soaked though and had to call it short.

Yesterday's cycle was great, windy but a good time. I bumped into an old friend which despite pausing my Garmin did skew my splits somewhat.

So, that leaves me confused. Was it a double puncture or did I patch a good bit of tyre?

Come along today. All set to go out and flat tyre. At least this time its obvious - a chunk of glass still stuck in the tyre. But no patches so no ride. Bike shop in Troon is closed on Wednesday so it was a trip out to Halfords to get patches.
Tyre is now patched, re inflated and seems to be holding air. I won't bother re assembling the bike until tomorrow though just in case.