20 July 2014

Just Typical...

The cable company I get TV phone and broadband from has been bought over by Virgin Media.

This is probably a good thing - my provider is quite small and been bought over a few times already. Luckily it keeps getting better for me. The number of channels, the quality of both broadband and the set top boxes. All of it has been pretty good. I do think its odd that they cannot provide the Red Button channels which are available on Freeserve, but that's only a minor issue.

Naturally, we won't get the same package but after a quick look at the website it looks like the same prices will give a better service, so all in all, I'm looking forward to it.

We will get a new set top box - a tivo box to replace my current PVR. That should be fine although I do like my current box. I'll also be getting new wireless kit for my broadband. That would be good as my stuff I bought myself and then turned down the option to buy from the cable company last time.

It seems we will be contacted in the next few weeks with dates for the switchover, and then personal visits to set up the new stuff.

So I was not surprised when last week my phone wouldn't connect to my wifi when I came home. It was reporting an 'authenticating error'. I presumed it was something to do with the switch over and after rebooting the router all was well. A few days later the same thing with the same corrective action. I was beginning to think this was getting a bit silly the third time I had to reset the router.

Last night when we got in we both had the same error. This time a reset of the router didn't do the job as the router died. Complete failure of the power supply to the router.

So, do I wait for the cable company or do I get a new router?

Bit of a dilemma for about 5 minutes - off to tesco for a cheap router and we're back online, shakes never even taking hold.

But do I keep this new one or take the cable companies new one?