07 February 2011

On the Ice Again

Another incident on the ice.
This time it was deliberate.
After about a year of 'threats' Fiona brought me to an open day on the ice to try curling Sunday afternoon. As I have no gear for this I think she expected me to fall flat on my arse (as I have done a few times already this winter)
So, armed with my slip on trainers, I picked up a broom from the rack and ventured onto the ice. The grip from the trainers was quite good so good I couldn't slide at all. We walked down the rink towards the far end where the stones were sitting.
After being shown what to do and how to balance, I was let loose. Its really more energetic than it looks. watching, its all calm and smooth as the player releases the stones from this smooth glide. However, as I wasn't sliding it was just a launching action, with my knee then slamming into the ice.
All in all we spent about 30 minutes playing shots, with only one or two of mine being so wild as needing to be stopped before interfering with the game going on alongside.
By the end Fiona had to begrudgingly agree that for a beginner I wasn't bad, certainly better than she expected.
I had a good time but am not ready to take it up as a sport. It is harder than it looks though. Apart from the balance and ice and all, there are muscles hurting today that haven't been sore for years. My knee is bruised (I was offered ice for it but joked that that was what caused the problem in the first place), my thighs are sore from pushing, and the tendons across the front of my foot are tender.

0 comments: