04 January 2014

And my toes are submerged...

And I'm lyin' warm on the soft sandy beaches

And my toes are submerged in the water
And it feels good.
Children playing building castles on the shoreline
Like a painting that we loved and lord
It feels so fine.
Hothouse Flowers – Don't Go
After the battering Troon and most of Scotland took with the New Year storms I was a bit apprehensive heading out on the bike this morning for the first of this year's cycles.
Christmas has been 'enjoyed' and there has been little to no exercise since the middle of December.

And way too many mince pies.

First thing - I found the bike and all the gear. Of course, by the time I was actually ready to go out, it just started to rain. Better go anyway I thought, otherwise I'll never get out. Glad I did, as the rain stopped after a few minutes.

But it was cold. After a few moments my fingers were stinging (fingerless cycle gloves) and I was trying to hold the handlebars with only the palms of my hands, curling my fingers under to keep them warm.

The rain stopping didn't seem to make much difference anyway as it was already so wet. I have no mudguards. The carrier on the back keeps the spray from the rear wheels of me but the spray from the front is lifted straight up. The faster I go the higher it is lifted and the more likely that I ride right into my own spray. Muddy water in mouth and on face.

Troon was on the news, along with most of Ayrshire, as the storm surge, coupled with high tides, driven by winds, hit the shore. There was even a lovely video of the water flowing down South Beach Esplanade, with a some debris rushing with the current. If you look carefully you can just make out the specially marked surface of the cycle path.

For the most part there was little obvious storm damage. There was a reasonable amount of mulch type debris, which was quite slippery, but the real mess didn't start until I got down onto the beach.
The prom was covered in seaweed, sand, rubbish, trees, all sorts. The clean-up had already begun and there was piles awaiting removal as well. But the water had receded.

I continued on.

When I got around to North Beach there was a blockage - gravel, sea weed and sand had been washed up the steps and blocked the cycle path, but was still passable.

I continued on.


I could see water ahead of me but didn't realise just how much. The entire shore was still under water. A lot of water. At least 7 inches of water because both my feet went under as I tried to roll along the cycle path to the exit from the car park. (I could have gone back I guess ad stayed dry). I would have taken a photo but by now I could no longer my fingers (at least the stinging had stopped) and I didn't want to risk my phone with all that sea water.

After rowing to the road and resuming my cycle I got home, washed the bike and then me, and headed down in the car to get the picture.
This is looking back, south, into Troon from North Beach. I would normally be cycling north towards this point. The sea is to the right of the image, but all the water is storm flooding. To the right of centre, you can make out 3 blue cycle path signs. Its not a Father Ted "those are close, that one is far away" type thing, the poles are different sizes. The 2 small ones are a gate that the cycle path passes between. I had turned off the path to the left of centre with the water almost up to my crankshaft.