12 August 2012

Kingussie Cycle

Our first full day in Aviemore. The cottage is great. It actually backs onto the Strathspey Steam Railway line - we're having dinner on board on Friday night.
View from the breakfast table

Since we brought the bikes we are determined to use them, unlike at Center Parcs.
Before we headed off last week I had googled the area and looked at a few potential cycles. Based on what it looked like we decided to bring the mountain bikes instead of the road bikes because it seemed to be mostly off road trails. That was not the case as today was all on road but with very light traffic. I was using my old bike, which is now Ciaran's. I remembered why I got a new one - the gears are not suited to riding on the flat and the tyres are not suited to the road. We persevered and with lunch stops and all we managed 30 miles.
Terrain wise it was a bit of a mixed bag. Since both ends of the cycle are along the Spey river, there is not much altitude change between the 2 ends. The hills seemed a lot bigger than the map says they were though. It was certainly easier cycling back along the more main road but less enjoyable as there was more traffic. I did make use of the range of gears but I think it would have been better with my usual bike.
Fiona seems to have hurt her leg though. That may affect what we can do this week. Lets hope is nothing serious.