15 August 2012

Munro bagging

We did our "ascent" of Cairn Gorm today. That's my first munro bagged.
Its a bit of a con though - you drive your car to the base station car park (at 635m) then get the funicular railway to the top station (at 1097m) where our guide led us on a tour to the top at 1245m.
Naturally, the views were spectacular, when you could see it.
looking back at the top station

Due to the high winds (gusts of 65mph) weather was coming in and leaving quite quickly, though it was warm. A windproof jacket helps though.
Our guide, Sammy, was amazing. He provided so much info in such a casual way. We took a circular route up to the top, trying to avoid the worst of the wind.
We did make it to the top but couldn't see to much, and the descent was quite misty.
It was too windy to keep the camera at the ready and the mists rolled away too quickly for me to get the camera out and on in order to get a picture. I also think I need a new camera as I can't seem to get what I can see in some of these landscapes.