24 August 2012

New Fences

For the second time in a week I have come home to a new fence.
After the storm damage from last year the back and side fences have been in a bit of a state.
The two exposed panels of the back fence were effectively completely destroyed, the shed protected the third one, while the side fence has been collapsing since we moved in. The storm finished off parts of it.
The main problem is the number of people I would have to liaise with in order to get the fences replaced.
The back fence, all three panels of it, is shared between 4 dwellings because the houses which back onto mine are not aligned with my one. The two sides are simple.
AB and CD are the fences needing fixing

Back in April the guy living behind me got in touch. Since all of his fence was down (CD+) he was in the process of organising a replacement and wanted me and my neighbour to contribute which we both agreed.
He then removed the carcass of the old fence and the posts in preparation for the new one, which would be "in the next 6 weeks".
I would check the back garden each morning before leaving for work to see if there had been any progress, but sadly no.
Finally when Fiona and I returned from Aviemore last week the new fence was finally in!



The only slightly annoying aspect is due to the woman who shares the other piece of the back fence (BC) with me. Since my shed and her shed have protected the fence she had no interest in replacing her part of it. If she did, she would have also had to include one other person. If he agreed then another would have to be brought in. You can see why it took so long to get it all sorted.

Since this woman wasn't having her fence replaced, the shared post couldn't be replaced. So an new post was added and the fence built. Since the guy behind was the customer its all nice and neat on his end. On my side however there is a small gap where the old meets the new.

Looking closer, the horizontal supports on the new fence actually meet with the edge of their side fence. That fence is leaning (which is a different issue) so this meeting is only at the bottom, leaving a single slat wide gap between the old fence and the nice new one.

During all this time my other next door, sharing the dodgy side fence was in the process of getting a friend to sort that one. Finally last Tuesday they arrived with the wood and trappings and by Thursday night when I got home all was installed.

What's even better, they dragged away the scrap fibreboard which was dumped alongside the shed, saving me a trip to the dump.
Sadly they have left the anchor rock from the old whirligig which Ciaran and I excavated last year.

Now they both need painting. I wonder if Ciaran has read Tom Sawyer?