06 April 2013

Incommunicado

Got back home last night from a short break with Ciaran in Dublin.
The parents' lack of wifi afforded a welcome break from most of my electronic communication - only texts from Fiona were read. I found it quite refreshing but I think the electronic silence was a bit much for Ciaran. He was booting the laptop before he got his coat off last night when we got back in.

We had a pleasant time in Dublin. I finally sent my American passport in for renewal. It's only 3 years expired now. We also headed into Dublin castle but spent much of the day looking at music shops.

Ciaran is "working that whole rockabilly look" at the moment and obsessed with guitars. Fortunately he does seem to be able to play and is taking lessons. So we spent a good chunk of time window shopping for guitars.

When I was talking to my brother he said that Ciaran was described as a 'bagel'. He wasn't sure what it meant but didn't think it was too good. There was no wifi but there was broadband so we did find out an urban definition and we all learned a new word.

On our final day my niece and 2 of my nephews were visiting Grandma.While we were messing about I warned Jack that i could see what he was doing because I had eyes in the back of my head. When he scoffed Ava warned him "He does! All grownups have eyes in the back of their heads to watch kids!" It seems the message we got as kids is passing down the generation.

So three communication points - I can survive without the incessant beeping of emails and reminders; a bagel is not just for breakfast; and selection of the fittest evolves parental rear view eyes.