21 April 2013

Kindle Down

An unfortunate connection of knee and Kindle has left the Kindle the loser.

The technical reports says that the screen is 'not responding to page turns' and 'has artifacts'. The text legibility has been compromised. The issues arose after 'pressure had been applied to the screen'. A hard reset has not resolved the issues.

In laymans terms its buggered because it was knelt on when it was under the duvet and the pjs were on the other side of the bed.

 This Kindle is the original Kindle 3. I got it for my birthday in 2010. The product was renamed the Kindle Keyboard in 2011 when it was superceded by the Touch. The Paperwhite is now the current model and my model is only available second hand or old stock and not from Amazon.

It is accepted on both sides that the warranty has expired. But that didn't stop me from chancing my arm and phoning Amazon support.

After establishing the technical report as described above (because it seems their tech support can't jump from its broken because someone knelt on it and I heard it crack) I was passed onto their dedicated Kindle replacement team.
A few minutes later, those minutes establishing what I had already established a few minutes earlier, I was offered a few upgrade options to replace my broken Kindle. If  I return the broken one to them I get a discount. So I am now waiting for a refurbished Paperwhite for about 65% of new price and 80% of refurbished price.

In the meantime I am back to analogue books. I worried about RSI manually turning the pages...