10 April 2013

Upland Plateau

March was not a good month for my weight reduction campaign.
As of 6 April I have dropped a total of 10 kg which is good news.
I am looking at the positive side. My weight is reducing but I've been here before.
Sadly there is only 0.1 of a difference between the trend and the actual, with the actual now being higher. I seem to have flat-lined my trend line. I am now not expected to hit my target at all! Of course this is a logging issue, mostly with me being away from my scales for a few days. fingers crossed.

Looking at the graphs it seems the blip that was the Kinross weekend is still the tail wagging my curve, though my slope is not as steep as it was at the end of February, meaning the weight is not shifting as quickly.
The end of the 'month' was a disaster as far as reaching my goals are concerned. I use month loosely. Since I started all this on the 7th of Jan, I have been reporting on the 7th of subsequent months, for the preceding month. That is getting too complicated so from now onward I'll report the calendar months. Suddenly March is not too bad. A definite easing but no disaster. April looks like a nightmare though...


Why the stall in my progress? I'm not really sure why. Well I am really. The cold weather -The coldest March since February they were calling it, coupled with Easter holidays.
Holidays have always been a double whammy for me. Not being at work means my discipline tends to be lower and I'll graze. This coupled with other activities which keep me away from my exercise means I tend to slip a bit. The bad weather and other incidents also meant that I never managed any longer cycles over the weekend, and this included missing our now annual Millport cycle over the Easter weekend.


Looking back at February, I did 13 workouts. My totals were 9.41 hours and just under 120 km. For March it was 16 workouts but only 117 km in just over 10 hours.


This would seem to be the problem - I seem to be slowing down a bit. But I'm not. Alright, some of my lunchtime cycles were slower but there was a stiff wind, and the cycle computer takes no account of wind.
March Cycling pace in km/hr
March had more walks (these are outdoor walks, not my treadmill sessions) so they tend to be slower, and sometimes punctuated with trips to the coffee shop. And I did forget to turn off the timer when we were waiting in line...

But I burned over 1500 more calories in March. So where is the problem? A weeks holiday meant more eating and since that included a trip back to Dublin and Easter I am going to excuse myself, but April will need to see me firmly back in the saddle.